BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

9.28.2005

I ottabe in pictures . . .

Dang I really need to get a camera set up for this system. Unfortunately, the only camera we have right now is my husband's really nice one that he has set up on his laptop. Maybe when I get a new phone, I'll get a camera phone, so that at least I'll be able to post tiny little pictures of my brews instead of having to describe everything.

That being said, here's a description *grins*

The cranberry mead looks so beautiful still. Not a whole lot of change, maybe clearer, but definitely not "clear" yet (can't see through it). I'm thinking that I should have started with something that would go to a nice amber color. It would prolly be easier to see when it clears. I dunno. Guess I'll just have to wait.

The strawberry wine is looking very promising. A LOT of sediment has dropped, and with it a lot of the orangish color. It looks much more red now, still not as ruby/garnet as the cranberry, but very nicely red. The sediment is compacting as time goes on, but there is still something like an inch and a half of fluff on top of the compacted part. The wine seems much clearer right above the lees, making it able to be seen through. And when you look right at the top of the lees it looks like a Martian landscape because of the orangey color of the lees. I am getting very hopeful as the days pass about this wine. I have also been toying with the idea of racking on top of some more strawberries (maybe fresh this time, slightly crushed) or maybe some strawberry juice when I rack in a month. I think that the wine may end up too dry for my palatte, and I would like some "strawberry" flavor, along with the fermented strawberry flavor. I dunno . . . Maybe I'll just leave it as it and see what it tastes like in 6 months.

Airlock activity is still about the same for the mead: 1 blip per second for the mead. But much slower for the wine: 1 blip per minute and a quarter (the mead blipped 72 times in the time the wine blipped once). My roommate and I both think that the mead is prolly going like gangbusters simply because it has a whole lot of extra sugar to plow through. The yeasties are very happy, indeed. *grins*

Good news, only about a month before the batch of Ancient Orange should be done. YAY! Of course right now is when I should be deciding if I am going to try to make up a larger batch of it, or one of the other "quick" meads to give out at the holidays. I dunno. My head is full of trying to get into the new house right now, deciding things like that are waaaaaay in the back of my head, if there are there at all. Let's see, if I started a batch of AO at the beginning of October (starting with the new moon seems to help the yeasties be very happy and active), it should be ready for bottling at the beginning of December and that would allow almost a month for bottle aging. Not the best, but certainly not bad. Definitely will be thinking about it over the next couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home