BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

9.14.2005

Peachy Keen

Okay, so yesterday after waiting 2 hours for the must to cool, I got tired of waiting and went ahead and added the acid blend, tannin, nutrient, and campden. The temperature was 115 degrees, but since I wasn't adding the yeast yet, I figured I was okay. Last night, around 10pm, I added the pectic enzyme. Temperature was 82 degrees, O.G. 1.100 (adjusted for temp). This morning, I gave the must a good stir and sprinkled the yeast on top (as per the original instructions). I figure that since you can't "sprinkle" a liquid very easily, Jack Keller must have meant the dry stuff. If not, well . . . it might take a little longer for the yeast to get bubbling, but I don't think it will be a problem.

I'm not going to touch the cranberry again until Saturday when I rack to a secondary.

I have come to realize that prolly the only recipe I have started or plan to start that will actually be bottleable, much less drinkable by the holidays will be my batch of Joe's Ancient Orange (all hail Joe, Blitzmead extraordinaire!). I have been looking for some other quick meads, and not surprisingly, most of the ones on GotMead are by Joe, or based off of one of his recipes. I think I may need to go ahead and just make up a 3 gallon batch of Ancient Orange by the end of the month so that I can have plenty to give out at the holidays. Or I might go with a gallon of his 5 week Pyment, another gallon of AO, and a gallon of Norskersword's 4 Week Quick Cyser. That would give me a variety to give out. I would love to give out wine as well, but I'm thinking that wines prolly need the longer fermenting time and proper aging. That and I haven't found a great forum like GotMead for wines yet. *grins*

Speaking of wines, I will be starting my strawberry wine in a little while. I'll post the recipe after I'm done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home