BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

9.13.2005

Peach Wine and Conversions

Got up early and woke up enough to have already started my Peach Wine. While I'm waiting for the must to cool, here's what I've got so far (and what I will do as soon as it's cool):

Peach Wine (Giant Peach Wine??? I dunno, better than Potion of Immortality, though *grins*)
7 pts. water
2 1/2 pounds sugar
about 4 1/2 pounds peaches (commercially frozen and then thawed)
11.5 oz can Welch's frozen white grape juice concentrate
1 t. acid blend
1 t. nutrient
1/4 t. tannin
1 crushed campden tablet
1/2 t. pectic enzyme
Champagne wine yeast

Put water on to boil. Put peaches in straining batg and tie closed. Put in primary and mash until no solids remain. When water boils, dissolve sugar in it. Pour over peaches. Add grape juice concentrate. When must cools, add acid blend, nutrient, tannin, and campden. Cover primary and set aside for 12 hours.

**************************
As you can see I have deviated from the original recipe a little (the Peach and Grape wine). Since I am trying to use up frozen fruit from my freezer, I just used the whole amount of peaches I had left, which was most of a 5 pound bag. Also, since I am using frozen peaches, not fresh, they already had citric acid added to them to retain color, so I cut the amount of acid blend originally used by half a teaspoon. Here's hoping it works.

On another note, I was disturbed by a post on the GotMead Forums. I had thought that "A pint's a pound". This person couldn't be right . . . . could they? Ummm. Yep. That is prolly why my cranberry mead's O.G. reading was off the scale. There is only about 1 and 3/8 cups of honey in a pound, not 2 cups (as I used). Wooooohooooo. I'm thinking I may be making a couple of gallons of this stuff instead of one. That's okay. It smells great :) But I may need to get some cranberry juice to top it up with, so it doesn't end up thin on the cranberry flavor. Anyway, if you're clueless about these conversions like I am, try this.

Oh, and the cranberry mead? Beautiful foamy sweet smelling goodness this morning. *grins*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home