BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

9.29.2005

Racking and Cherry Vanilla Mead

So, I found out a couple of rules of thumb as far as when to rack goes today on the forums. According to Pewter, you should rack whenever there is 3/4" or more of sediment on the bottom. According to Oskaar, you should rack when there is less than 4 blips in the bubbler per minute - unless you are using D-47 yeast, which you can let sit for months without affecting the taste of your brew. By either reckoning, I seriously needed to rack my strawberry wine. So a-racking I went tonight. *grins*

I added 2 pounds fresh strawberries to the new fermenter for three reasons. First, this is already a VERY dry wine, and I prefer sweeter wines (so added some sugar). Second, I like the taste of strawberries, and this will let some non-fermented strawberry flavor come through. Third, I had almost 2 inches of sediment in the bottom of the carboy, and seriously needed something to take up space.
Current Temperature: 78 degrees
S.G.: .992

I will prolly go ahead and rack the cranberry mead tomorrow night. I don't really need to, but I would rather get it ready to move next week sometime, and don't want all that sediment in the bottom getting stirred back up, and then have to wait for it to clear out again.

Yup, we found out we won't be closing on our house(s) until maybe next Tuesday because the buyers' mortgage company, Washington Mutual, is dragging their feet. So I decided that I would have time to go ahead and start my Cherry Vanilla Mead. I will leave it in the bucket all weekend, and then transfer to a secondary Monday night. Here's the recipe:

Cherry Vanilla Mead
3.5# local honey
warm water to one gallon (or a smidge more *grins*)
1/4 t. tannin
1t. nutrient
K1V-1116 yeast
one vanilla bean (secondary)
1.25 pounds frozen dark sweet cherries (secondary)

I rehydrated the yeast first, and I really should have waited because the must is too hot, and will take a while to cool. I have done this almost every time now, I really should remember next time. Mixed warm water, honey, tannin, & nutrient. Stuck must in fridge to bring rapidly to room temperature.
Temperature: 100 degrees
O.G. 1.107
Must is 85 degrees, pitched yeast and sat in a water bath (SOP now, due to ants).

Just looked at the wine. ACK! There is already almost as much sediment as there was before we racked, about an hour ago!! Not as tightly packed, but still, jeez. I don't want to have to rack this AGAIN before we move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home