BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

7.24.2006

Peachy Keen! part 2

So peaches are in season and on sale right now. Yummy yummy yummy! And at 97 cents a pound you can't beat the price with a stick, so I decided to go ahead and get almost 5 pounds of them and make one gallon of wine AND one gallon of mead. I mean, heck, the peaches for both gallons cost less than the honey for the mead! :) I am using recipes from First Steps in Winemaking (for the wine) and The Compleat Meadmaker (for the mead). Ken Schramm's recipe is for a Ginger Peach Mead, which sounds so yummy that I am modifying the wine recipe to make it Ginger Peach, as well! :) I know the recipe in the book calls for fresh ginger, but I'm on a budget, here, and I already have a ton of ground ginger, so that's what I'll be using. Not sure how much yet, probably on the order of a tablespoon per batch. Here's the brewlog start for the wine, which was started last night (mead gets started tonight):

Ginger Peach Wine
2.25# peaches
.5 t. pectic enzyme
??? ground ginger
2.25# white sugar
1 t. citric acid
.5 t. tannin
1 gallon boiling water

7.23.06
Set water to boil on the stove. Cleaned the peaches and hands well. Cut peaches into half and removed the stones, managed successfully to avoid eating any (they smelled sooooo good!), and placed into a plastic fermenter. Squeezed the bejeezus out of them. Poured just enough boiling water over the peaches to cover them well (have to save room and water to boil for the sugar). Covered the fermenter with plastic wrap, and put it in a pot filled soapy water and left it overnight to cool. I am not going to have an ant problem this time!

Schedule for the rest of the week:
Add pectic enzyme today. Leave overnight again. Tomorrow strain the liquid off the peaches, pour liquid into a carboy, and add the rest of the ingredients, except the yeast, and fit with an airlock. Let must cool. Pitch yeast and refit airlock.

Ginger Peach Mead
2.25# peaches
2.5# raw clover honey
.5 t. pectic enzyme
??? ground ginger
water to one gallon
D47 yeast

Haven't started this one yet, but I plan on using the standard fruit in primary method, and am going to make sure the fermenter is ant-proof. I am not going to add the peaches to the secondary, because I don't want to be cleaning peaches off of everything in the kitchen. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home