BellaDonna Brews

Wine and Mead Making at its Most Experimental (at least until I figure out what the heck I am doing!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

If you need help feeding a family healthy delicious food on a shoestring budget, I'm your girl, errrr, mermaid. Tiny budgets deserve better than the drive thru, and I'm here to help give you the tips and techniques to help you succeed. I am currently a full time student and single mother of two, but I have been responsible for feeding a family of six, including 4 adults on a regular basis. The kinds of tips I'll be sharing will cover big families, small families, even singles!

10.27.2005

Eruption

Well, I think that if I ever do another pumpkin mead (and this one had better turn out REALLY good for me to even consider it at this point), I may give something mentioned on GotMead a try - using a seeded pumpkin as a primary fermentor. As it is, I am sick unto death of this one.

I would like to thank, publicly, whatever deity or deities (does anyone know of a god or goddess of mead? *grins*) were watching over my house the last couple of days. Thank you for:
-causing the small eruption to occur in the cabinet, so that I moved the carboy into my water bath so as not to have to clean that cabinet twice
-giving me the idea to stick the water bath under the overhang of a pennisular counter in my kitchen so people wouldn't walk into it
-causing the airlock to be blown off the top of the carboy when no one was looking at it
-having most of the explosion go in the water bath or under the counter instead of all over the floor and the ceiling
-having the eruption be in this house with the old cruddy carpeting instead of the house we just moved out of with the brand new carpeting
-only losing about a quarter of a gallon
-making sure I remembered to cap the extra mead I put in the fridge for topping up this time.

Ick, what a day. I am not topping that stuff up for a while, as I don't want a repeat. I think I am going to have to get some lids for my buckets and use them for putting fruit in the "secondary" for melomels. This is the second time this has happened, and both times were right after transferring to a carboy over fruit. The brew is still bubbling happily, though, and my house still smells like mead in the kitchen and living room. I took pictures, but I have to beat my husband to get him to find the cord for the camera and take the pics off of it. Might be easier to do now that the World Series is over. *grins*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home